TheMonticello d'Alba Castle

History of the Castle

The castle rises above a hilltop at Monticello d’Alba, a small medieval town about 12 km from Alba in one of the loveliest areas of Piedmont.

The castle is an imposing four-sided construction whose massive structure is typical of the high Middle Ages. The façade is characterized by two towers at both sides, one square and one circular, and by a staircase of simple design. The Ghibelline crenelation and the protective roofing framing the so called “patrol walk” point to the castle’s original function as a defence structure.

Read more

Built before the year one thousand, the castle was extensively remodernized towards the end of 1300 to take up the character which has basically lasted to our days. Important restoration work commissioned in 1785 in homage to 18th century taste and including the removal of the drawbridge, moats and banks, the design of new gardens and internal modification have not altered the castle’s sound Medieval architecture.

Fine examples of decorative art and interior furnishings from past centuries are the wide internal halls of severe and fine style.

Originally built as a defence of the Asti County, the Monticello castle belonged tot he bishops of Asti, in the person of one of their vassals, up to 1372.

From 1372 following the upristing of the Monticello townfolks against the violent tyranny of the vassal Ludovico Malabaila. Help came from the Roero counts who at the head of their army carried the castle.

In recognition of the assistance offered to the Asti parish, the Bishop relinquished the Monticello feud in favour of the Roeros who were enfeoffed by Pope Gregorius XI on June 4, 1372 and have remained the owners to our day.